Sunday, May 16, 2010

Do you find it hard to do your duty?











It's been a rough couple of weeks. Several people from work have been out of the office, leaving the rest of us to take care of their work. I also have a new client who is a bit more demanding than...well, any other client I've ever had (especially for the amount of revenue they bring in).

But basically, I've been exhausted for the last two weeks. I haven't gotten a lot of sleep, I haven't exercised at all, I sometimes don't have time to eat lunch - it's just been rough. Even at home, I constantly check my phone for any emergencies that could have cropped up in the last fifteen minutes. That makes me feel bad for my wife, whose husband seems to always be on call.

So, after feeling frustrated and overwhelmed, I spoke with my dad on the phone the other day for a while. He helped me to see things that I hadn't seen before, and helped me feel a lot better. One of the things he told me was a quote from Gladiator.

Maximus: "Cicero."
Cicero: "Sir?"
Maximus: "Do you find it hard to do your duty?"
Cicero: "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to do."

Those are my feelings on the current situation. I can't control how someone treats me - I can only control my reaction. Sometimes I will get to do what I want to do, but I have a family to provide for, so for the most part, I will do my duty. I will do what I have to do to provide support for me and my family. I will persevere.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

That kind of attitude is what makes you an awesome husband and it's what will make you an awesome father.

We do what we have to do. Sometimes even when we don't want to, or we're almost too tired to keep going.

Hang in there and keep up the good work!! "This too shall pass!"

Nae said...

You can do it! You're a great friend and person. I have every confidence in you, even if it isn't fun for the time being.