Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Companion to Sewing Table

When putting away everything in her new sewing table/desk, Kristen realized that she had a lot of spools of thread. So what did I do? I made her a spool organizer, of course. It was actually pretty easy.

I bought a square of 1/4-inch plywood, then cut it down to fit half of the desk drawer - about 9x13. Then after modeling it briefly on the computer, I measured out 48 squares (8x6) and drew them on the back of the board, then measured the center points of each one and drilled holes through them.


I then cut some wood dowels into 2 1/4-inch pieces, put some glue on the ends of each piece, and used a rubber mallet to hammer them in place.


After they dried, I very carefully sanded the back to make it flush, and filled in any chunks I blasted out when I drilled through the board too quickly.


Ta da! Spool board. I also finished stripping and staining the chair that came with the desk. I'll post that photo soon.

No comments: