Saturday, July 13, 2019

Command Center

We've been looking for a place to focus for chores, calendaring, etc., so I made a command center board to hang on the wall. The clipboard stuff comes from a YouTuber named Jordan Page, who has some cool organization and frugal living tips (check out her laundry, clipboards, and block scheduling videos). 

This is something I've done a million times - make a frame. The tricky part was after I'd cut all the wood and dry fit it together, I had to make the rabbet. A rabbet is a cut out along the edge of a piece of wood, which gives it an L shape. It is often used for insetting glass in picture frames. In this case, I added a piece of hardboard to it for a back (glued in place). To create the rabbet, I used my makeshift router table, with a fence I made from some scrap wood and a straight edge, clamped to my router table.



Here is a view of the command center in all its glory:


It has the calendar, a metal plate for magnets / important papers (recently used for holding movie and theater tickets), the clipboards (summer kid chores), and I attached some pieces of PVC pipe with tape on the bottom to hold "chore sticks" (extra chores they get to choose, instead of being assigned). They have to do two chore sticks a day in addition to their regular chores. Definitely watch Jordan's video for more info on all this stuff. Here are some close-ups of the charts and chore sticks. The "Kid Zones" rotate each week (we have to help Aurora with her zone).




And lastly, here is a view of the command center on our wall. This is near the kitchen, in view as you come in from the garage or front door.


No comments: