Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Touching Tribute

I know that many of my faith will have similar feelings today, and many will even write similar blogs to the one I am about to write, on the day of the funeral of President Gordon Bitner Hinckley. It was a touching tribute to the man whose life touched so many. As the president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for the last 12+ years, one third of the current members of the church were baptised since he became the prophet.

Bishop Burton mentioned the things which the presidents of the church are remembered for. President Benson is remembered for his warnings of pride and his counsel to remember the Book of Mormon. President Hunter is remembered for his counsel on temple worthiness. Once President Hinckley was asked what he thought he would be remembered for. He said, "I'm afraid I will be remembered as the prophet who no one listened to."

I hope we don't forget what he taught us. I hope we take it to heart and actually apply his counsel to our lives. President Hinckley is the prophet of my youth. He has been the prophet since I was old enough to be in the "youth" program.

But I'm not sad - I am grateful that President Hinckley has entered into his rest. Peace be with him and with his family.

No comments: