Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Blogging...

I like to read blogs. No, I take that back. I like to read interesting blogs. And I prefer reading the blogs of people I know, but have occasionally ventured onto blogs of people I don’t. While blog-surfing, I’ve noticed that it seems a lot of bloggers out there are stay-at-home moms, and their primary blogging topic is their kids.

Now, not to attack anyone in particular or hurt anyone’s feelings (I’m sure I’ll lose a few readers with this post), but those blogs are usually pretty boring. Even if you’re friends with the person, if you don’t have a vested interest in the children (i.e. their uncle or grandmother), you don’t really care that much. Unless it’s something really interesting (like my friend who recently adopted and wrote about her new son), I’ll usually only skim the entry.

This is not to say that there aren’t kid blogs out there I think are very interesting, or that it’s never okay to write about your kids. If the blog is primarily to keep your family up-to-date on your family over long distances, it makes sense to blog about your kids. Or if once and a while your child does something really spectacular or interesting, and you want to share it with everyone, go for it (i.e. posting a video of your child’s first steps).

And kid-blogging is not the only blogging sin. There are also those people who only blog when they want to post pictures of their most recent trip. One would think by looking at their blog that they are constantly on vacation. While these posts try to make up for a lack of interesting content by using pretty pictures, they really only amount to glorified slide shows. And I don’t mean the cool, movie-type slideshows. I mean the boring, sit-in-the-dark, use-a-clicker-attached-to-the-machine-to-advance-the-slides slideshow.

Both fortunately and unfortunately, with the advent of the web, everyone can publish their thoughts for the world to see. Many people think of blogs as online journals, and looking at it that way, it shows the difference in the way people see the world. Some write the events of the day, while others write their thoughts and feelings, and insights gained. I think a healthy blend of both is what makes a good blog (leaning more towards the thoughts, feelings, and insights side). I don’t claim to have the most interesting blog in the world, but I like to think that I post moderately interesting content a majority of the time. But hey, that’s me. What do you think?

8 comments:

Valerie said...

I somewhat agree with you. I think that your assumption that people are using blogs as journals is correct. It is a handy way to stay in touch and yes, force your friends and relatives to look at your travel pictures with having them get up out of the living room in the middle of the presentation.

I check most of my friends blogs that deal with family once a month or so because that is about my tolerance level but I love lurking by blog surfing because it is amazing to see what people put out there and what they do with their information in the end.

One blog that I have been enjoying quite a bit is http://mormonmd.wordpress.com/ a blog where the owner seeks out other blogs that fit his tag - Mind, Soul and Body as well as his own ruminations on life. Even the medical ones have been thought provoking and at times testimony building. It is a blog that can draw you in.

Nate said...

You have good topics that are well written, but people with short attention spans such as myself need more visuals. That is my suggestion for your blog... you asked, and I answered.

Sarah Peterson said...

what do I think Adam? I think you are one opinionated boy!! You always know where you stand and exactly how you feel about things. Which is good. Anyway- I know what you mean about stay at home mom picture blogs. I agree that a lot of times they are BORING. I honestly do not care if people like or dislike my blog. I only post pictures of my girls ALL the time becuase 95% of my family and Bretts family lives in other states. To me, I prefer 'picture' blogs. I generally do not read what people write, unless they generally write interesting things. (I do find your blog some what interesting because you are so controversal with your posts!) My favorite blogs out there are 100% pictures. I guess that is why I only post pictures most of the time.

Unknown said...

I think you are comparing different kinds of blogs here. It seems to me that people read blogs because they care about the people writing or care about the opinion of the person writing. So really it depends on what kind of blog we're talking about. I think that mom-blogs are not boring, neither are they intended to captivate an audience. They are to share with others who care about the family or kids or whatever, not to be great reading material to whoever happens to come across it. It's so the extended family and friends can see what's happening.

Now if I am reading the blog of Ben Burtt (I'm not sure he has one), I don't really care to see a ton of pictures of him sitting in mix rooms or on vacations. I would want to hear his opinions of and experiences with sound design and mixing and what not. In that case the blog should be interesting and informative, not just a picture book.

You asked!

Janae Walker said...

i am guilty of having a mostly kid blog. but, something you may not have considered is that stay-at-home moms (which i am proud to be) don't have a ton of interesting things that happens. also, when you do have a child (especially the first one) everything is so new and exciting to you that you think everyone else is as exited. i know that is not the case, but ah well - i am a mommy blogger! i am so excited for you to get married! we got your invite and it is awesome :)

MedSchoolWife said...

I agree! When I did my London blog, I was really hesitant to post pictures, because automatically when people see them, that's all they care about, and I wanted it to be more about my writing. But I also found that people get intimidated by a solid block of writing, so on my regular blog now, I'm just trying to find a balance. But generally, I agree.

PS You had a very lovely wedding, and I was glad to meet you in person!

Anna White said...

I am a mommy blogger myself. But I am grateful to those who aren't...or at least make it interesting. I am working on that. :) Fun to see cute wedding pics on facebook! Way to go!
P.S. I am in a contest that ends tomorrow and am super close to a prize...everyone go vote!
The EZ desk Giveaway

LaChelle said...

Ah, guilty as charged. I'm a mommy blogger. It's hard not to be, when you're home with a little one all day, and your world is their world. It's difficult to remember that nobody else in the universe is going to be nearly as excited about Peter's latest escapades as I am. So I try to vary my content and keep it interesting.

Ironically, I also share your opinion about mommy blogs. I think they're pretty boring reads. Even among my closest "mommy" friends, I really only keep up on the blogs that have thought-provoking, non-kid content. That, or really outrageously entertaining writing.