Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Red Box

Kristen and I enjoy using the Red Box. We've typically had success in finding movies we enjoy. But every so often, we'll see a movie on there with actors we know, but that we've never heard of. We read the description, and think, "That sounds interesting. Let's get it." This, my friends, is what we call a mistake. Do NOT do this.

Horrible movies we've sat through, that you should never EVER rent:

Battle for Terra - This was an 84-minute, animated waste of time. This seemed to be a Ferngully meets Dances With Wolves meets Avatar, but without any of the clever dialogue or interesting plot lines. The animation also left something to be desired.

Year One - The trailer looked funny, but trust me - all the funny parts were in that two-minute montage. This is a raunchy, distasteful, completely unfunny movie, and I still don't know why we didn't turn it off after the first 10 minutes or so.

Babylon A.D. - The plot was so convoluted, with so many loose ends, that I still don't know what happened. Hadn't heard of it, but it was a cool-looking action movie with Vin Diesel. Don't let those kinds of things distract you from the fact that you've NEVER HEARD OF IT (most likely for good reason).

Passengers - This movie wanted to be The Sixth Sense, but failed miserably. We got it because it had Anne Hathaway in it - she's usually pretty decent. And to be fair, this was the least horrible of the movies, but it still wasn't that good.

But we haven't failed miserably. We've also done the smart thing, and rented movies we wanted to see again (that we saw in the theater), or movies that either one or both of us missed when they were in the theater.

17 Again - I really liked this movie. It's not winning any Oscars, but it was an enjoyable film to watch.

G.I. Joe - I grew up on this show, and the movie didn't disappoint. It was great in the theater, it was great on the T.V.

The Proposal - Not an amazing movie, but still quite enjoyable. Sandra Bullock is always funny, and is in really good shape for a 45-year-old. No, I take that back - she's in really good shape for a 25-year-old.

Star Trek - Awesome. Just, awesome. Saw it in theaters, had to watch it again. Come to think of it, did I see it in the dollar theater too? I'm waiting for a sale at Best Buy to get it on Blu-ray.

Julie & Julia - This was a fondue movie. That is, you don't have to pay incredibly close attention to it in order to follow what's going on. We made fondue while watching this one, and had quite a good time doing it.

1 comment:

The Wilson Pratt Wilson Family said...

Adam,
I hope it's okay that I add you to my blog list! I'm excited to know that you and Taylor both have blogs - it's fun to know what's going on in your lives!
Emily (Pratt) Wilson