Sunday, August 10, 2008

Pride and Prejudice

My friend gave me some comp tickets to Pride and Prejudice, a new musical that's showing at the Scera in Orem, so I went tonight. I've never been a die-hard fan of the story, but I will admit that I do like it. I've seen the new movie (with Keira Knightley) twice, and I also really enjoyed watching this play.

There were some cheesy moments - let's be honest. Some of the songs were a little corny, and where they were placed in relation to the dialogue was not always where I would have expected a song. For example, one brief love song between Bingley and Jane made me laugh, because it came right when they declared their love for each other. I expected them to kiss right then, but got a cheesy love song first. But on the whole, it was a good play, and the actors did really well with the material.

My favorite part of the musical was when Elizabeth finds out that Lydia has run off with Wickham. Elizabeth is naturally distraught, but Darcy promises her things will be all right. When she leaves, he sings a song called Ask Me For the Stars. I wish I had the music, because I want to put down exactly what he said. But he essentially said, I love you and I would do absolutely anything you asked me to do. No matter what you need, I will always be there, taking care of you. Even if you don't know I was the one to help you, that doesn't matter to me. I will still be there, your invisible guardian angel. Ask me for the stars, and I'll get them for you.

Joseph Smith once said of Emma, "I would go to hell for such a woman." I would add to that: "and I would get you the stars if you asked me for them."

2 comments:

Matthew Christensen said...

Line: "I wish I had the music, because I want to put down exactly what he said."

I "wish" you had a friend in the play who has a CD of the cast recording...

You could borrow his copy...

Silly, Adam.

Matthew Christensen said...

Ask me for the stars, I swear I'll get them. Ask me for the moon, it's not too far.
Give me but a chance to mend your broken heart; I will do it even though I bear the scar.
Here's my hand, it's yours if you decide. If you'll only just reach out I will be there.
Take my hand; let angels be our guide. And together there is nothing we can't face.

I would take your pain and gladly share it. Bring again the laughter to your eyes. Take away the night surrounding you with fear and would silence all your questions--all your cries.
Here's my hand; I give up all my pride.
I live only now to banish your despair.
As as a shadow ever by your side, I'll protect you; though you'll never know I'm there.