Monday, January 25, 2016

New Bed

Kristen and I have slept on a full size bed since we were first married, and it was about time for an upgrade. That's right, we moved up to a king. We found a metal frame and box springs gently used, and bought the mattress online from Tuft & Needle. We found our bedspread and pillows at Bed Bath & Beyond.

This project is similar to the workbench, in that the headboard is made entirely of inexpensive pine. I followed a pattern Kristen found a online, and it turned out pretty good. After I figured out how to use the jig, the most difficult part was probably sanding all the edges, but it worked out fine in the end. I probably didn't spend more than three-four hours cutting, drilling, screwing, and sanding, then two or three hours priming / painting.

Our new bedspread (pre-headboard)
Dry-fit
Sanded down and ready to paint
Close-up of the holes the jig made
Prime coat, ready to paint

Final product attached to the bed

8 comments:

Taylor said...

Pretty! I like it!

Taylor said...

and about time you gave your wife a little room! I don't know how she made it through two pregnancies in that tiny bed. I would die. Is it a king?

John Gaskin said...

woohoo!

Adam B said...

Yes, Taylor, it's a king. We loved our little bed - we could cuddle. Now sometimes we have to move way over to even reach each other. But it is nice to have so much space.

Caroline said...

Super cool! Looks awesome.

Nae said...

Cool! Very nice work!

Dylan Lovell said...

My wife and I are about to upgrade our bedroom, and I'm very impressed with the job you've done on yours. We have a pretty sparse budget, so making a headboard seems like a great idea. We never thought about choosing the bed components from different sources, but your post has made that a great option for us to consider.

Adam B said...

Thanks Dylan! Making can be such a great (and much cheaper) option than buying the same product. And multiple sources for the components can work great too. By the way, we've loved our T&N mattress, but if I was doing it again, I'd check out Purple as well.