Sunday, January 3, 2016

The Garage

When we moved in, the first problem we had to tackle was the garage. Apparently, the people who lived here before us smoked like chimneys...and they did it all in the garage. You can see by the photos how yellow the walls were from the smoke. We used some serious paint, called Killz. It's an oil-based primer made specifically to seal odors, stains, etc. like smoke and mildew. It worked great, but had some serious fumes (hence the masks).



Next order of business was organization. I installed shelves at the front of the garage for moving boxes right above where we keep our garbage cans (our HOA requires us to keep them in the garage). Kristen thinks I'm crazy for keeping those boxes, but moving boxes are expensive! I also added insulated panels to the garage door, to keep the temperature a little more moderate.


I also got some wire shelving units to store boxes along that wall, and hung up the bikes.




I also built a workbench (which will be the subject of another post), and bought a motorcycle dolly. I wanted to be able to fit both cars and the motorcycle in the garage - the dolly allows us to move the motorcycle around easily and fit it where there is room. We also got a laser parking guide that I installed on the ceiling.


There are still some things I want to do with the garage, but I like how it's turned out so far.

Here is a picture of the laser parking guide - it's plugged in near the garage door opener.

2 comments:

Zachary Buchanan said...

Pics of the laser parking guide?

Adam B said...

It's hard to get pictures of the lasers. :) But I'll update later with a pic of the actual guide itself.